Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy 4th of July!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Independence Day!

I thought I would make a quick blog entry about anxious dogs and the use of acepromazine.

My dog Seth is petrified of Fire Works. I made a very stupid mistake and took him for a walk on the 4th - before the fireworks had started. Someone lit off a bottle rocket in their driveway, it fell over and came shooting out at me and Seth. Since that day Seth has been absolutely petrified of fireworks.

I've been on a lot of dog boards and many people vilify using ace, it also seems that many people do not understand what ace really does.

Acepromazine is a SEDATIVE, a sedative is: A sedative or tranquilizer is a substance that induces sedation by reducing irritability or excitement.

Acepromazine has no anti-anxiety properties. It does not relieve anxiety, it simply makes your dog sleepy/tired. It sedates them. 

It also does work very well for the 4th of july. The important thing is - you need to give the correct dose based on your dog's weight, and you need to give it before the excitement occurs. So if your are giving it to avoid firework anxiety it needs to be given BEFORE your dog becomes anxious. I will be giving Seth his ace probably between 5pm and 7pm depending on what is going on in my neighborhood. I want to catch him before he becomes too anxious. Often times people think the ace isn't working, and it is because they have given it too late and the dog is already too over stimulated to respond.

There are other medications that can be given if you talk to your vet that are actually anxiety reducers. They are actually meant to relieve anxiety and do not really have a sedating effect. I have always had good luck with ace and have never used these medications, but I know of other people who have. 

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday, I'll be spending it at home making sure Seth doesn't have a stroke!


No comments:

Post a Comment