Friday, July 10, 2015

Fit Dog Friday: Beach!

Seppel and I haven't gone to training the last two Wednesdays because our trainer's dad is not doing well. This past Wednesday I woke up early and decided it would be a great day to go to the beach. The forecast said it would be in the 70s.

This is the first time I have ever taken all three dogs to the beach by myself. It is also the first time I have ever taken all three of my dogs together to the beach! We went to Astoria. We parked in the parking lot that is designated primarily for horses [but cars can park there too!]. This puts us nearer to the end of the beach and puts us in an area that is generally less busy. Even though it's summer and school is out the beach was pretty empty. We got there around 10am. We encountered a person with a German Shepherd but we kept our distance and I was able to let the dogs off leash.

I've posted about this in the past but Seppel is dog selective and I feel like he would have no qualms about running after small animals/small dogs. When I let him off leash I am super vigilant about our surroundings. If we were to see another person or dog coming our way I would either put Seppel on leash or call all my dogs to me and put them in a sit or down until the people/dog passes us. Seppel is far more reliable off leash compared to when I first got him. I feel a lot better that for the most part he does listen. However, like I said I have to pay attention at all times to things going on around us. That means keeping an eye on what is ahead and checking constantly for what might be behind.

If we aren't able to go train for a while I plan to make a few more beach trips. It's fun for the dogs to be able to run off leash and burn off some energy as well as just get some good exercise! They really enjoy it and I enjoy seeing them have a good time.

Here are a few pictures from the day:








13 comments:

  1. Nothing beats an off leash romp at the beach. Handling three dogs is a challenge - so good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a beach day! Plus a bonus deer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so cute! It looks like you guys had a lot of fun! I love that side picture of Seth! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last dog is a real deer ;) The beach is so fun. We used to live on the beach in Germany before we moved to the US. We loved it. The salt in the air and wind was great for our furs too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha! That deer sure was a surprise! Looks like you all had a great day. We love the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sure looks like they had a blast. Any brave enough to swim?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seppel and LiLo swam a bit when we went onto a sand bar. The tide was out so there was an area full of water for them to go into. Seth isn't much of a swimmer unless a ball is involved haha.

      Delete
  7. We're planning to take our pack to the beach this weekend. We go super early, because they're recall is terrible if they're in a new place AND see other dogs. They'll stay on leash if other dogs or people are there.

    It'll be fun either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought too! It was a little daunting going to the beach by myself with all three of them, but I figured regardless we would have a good time! I hope you guys have fun!

      Delete
  8. How wonderful, a beach adventure!! Sounds like a great time and now I'm a bit jealous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like your & your pack had a wonderful, active morning outing! I love how responsible & attentive you are to your pups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would be really mortified, especially if Seppel took off after/up to something/someone. Since he's a pit bull I feel like I'm hyper sensitive about it. I wouldn't want him to scare someone or potentially harm another dog.

      Delete