Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Oh Seppel

On our way to training this morning I couldn't help but think to myself that I can't believe Seppel and I are where we are at now.

When Seppel first arrived I had no idea what I would be doing with him, if anything. Before being exposed to IPO, I was very frustrated with him. He's very different from Seth. Seth picks things up quickly, when I have taught him things it takes little effort and within the first session he usually has some idea of what I am asking. With Seppel he was completely different and much less focused.

It's amazing to me now what I can do with him. I never thought I would ever be comfortable with the idea of him being off-leash. Don't get me wrong, I do not trust him in extremely exciting situations and when he is off-leash I have to be especially vigilant. However, I am able to have him off-leash and trust him mostly to listen to me and to not take off. In a trial setting I don't worry at all, he has no interest in visiting with other dogs and can stay pretty well focused working around them.

It's just really kind of amazing to me. We are still hoping to go for the BH in June. I applied for a scorebook and it should be here in May hopefully. I've been watching a lot of videos and I think we will be okay. The biggest thing for me is remembering the pattern and keeping calm.

We have been going to club on Saturdays. It sucks because it isn't that organized but one of the members has been making a huge effort to help me and one of the other new members. I learned more about tracking and track laying last Saturday. Seppel is doing really well tracking, I am trying to make longer tracks [200 paces] and putting in a few turns and a couple of articles for him to find. He is still not 100% clear on article indication, but we are getting there. I don't know that we will even attempt an IPO1 this year [if he gets his BH]. But I think without a doubt we will be ready next year.

In May I am also going on vacation and will be boarding Seppel with my trainer. I am kind of nervous about it, only because I feel bad that I have to leave him - but I know he will have a good time and I know he will be well taken care of while I am gone. I chose to board him because he has to be crated when no one is home and two weeks is a long time to spend most of the time locked up in a crate. Even though Seth and LiLo will be in the house, they at least can move around. I also think it will be easier on my friend who will be caring for them to just have to deal with them and the cat.

I feel extremely lucky that I found such an awesome person to train with, who will also let me board my dog with them so I know he will be well taken care of. Even though it's hard [omg it's the furmom coming out!], I know that he will be in very good hands.

And speaking of June...

In June it will be TWO years since Seppel's FHO surgery!!!!! I'll need to make a new video, I am so pleased with how successful Seppel's recovery has been.





1 comment:

  1. He looks so good! I can't believe it's almost been 2 years since his surgery!

    ReplyDelete